Sunday, October 3, 2010

October Horror Movie Challenge (10/3)


#7
Halloween (1978) (10th viewing) d. Carpenter, John
91 min.



#8
Halloween II (1981) (4th viewing) d. Rosenthal, Rick
92 min.

#9
Halloween III: Season of the Witch (1982) (3rd viewing) d. Wallace, Tommy Lee
98 min.

#10
Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers (1988) (2nd viewing) d. Little, Dwight H.
88 min.

#11
Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers (1989) (2nd viewing) d. Othenin-Girard, Dominique
96 min.

#12
Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers (1995) (2nd viewing) d. Chappelle, Joe
88 min.

#13
Halloween: H20 (1998) (3rd viewing) d. Miner, Steve
86 min.

#14
Halloween: Resurrection (2002) (2nd viewing) d. Rosenthal, Rick
94 min.

Total Films for Challenge: 14
Total First Time Views: 2

3 comments:

  1. Now that's what I call a marathon. I remember seeing Halloween: H20 when it was in theaters and since I was going with a couple that hadn't seen any of the other films I sat them down and we watched the first one before we headed to the theater. (I made the executive decision that I could simply summarize what happened in II for them since I find that to be a fairly weak follow-up.) What surprised me was how well H20 stood up in comparison to the original. I'd say it's easily the best of the sequels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn near killed me, let me tell ya. ;-]

    And yes, I would agree that H20 is the best of the sequels, though HALLOWEEN II has its own merits taken strictly from a slasher flick standpoint. Part 4 didn't annoy me nearly as much this time as it did initially, but Parts 5 and 6 are pretty terrible, as I recalled from their previous go-rounds.

    RESURRECTION has an interesting idea, but horrible execution. The concept might have worked quite well with someone other than Michael Myers as the killer, but the HALLOWEEN series has always been stone cold serious (for better or worse) - the self-reflexive motif doesn't really work with him.

    And fans be damned, I think the plot reveal of Laurie turning out to be Michael's sister in H2 was a terrible artistic decision. It makes it personal, and the boogeyman isn't personal (as evidenced by the dozens and dozens of people he kills who are in no way connected nor anywhere near his "intended prey"). Bad call, John.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I pretty much hate all of the Halloween sequels, truth to tell, except for III, which isn't a sequel at all despite the number in the title. I reserve a special contempt for the last one, which had me fuming before it even got to the main storyline.

    Also, Dimension is the worst possible shepherd for this franchise. What kind of moron releases a Halloween film in August? I mean, seriously? August? Inexcusable.

    ReplyDelete