Wednesday, September 28, 2011

SCARE -A-THON 2011 - A Benefit for U.S. Flood and Tornado Victims


Howdy folks,

As some of you might be aware, for the past few years I have engaged in an annual tradition called the October Horror Movie Challenge. (Last year was my highest mark yet, with 82 films viewed.) However, last year I decided to also turn my month-long celebration of silver screen screams into a benefit for those in need, dubbed SCARE-A-THON 2010. Thanks to the generosity of folks like yourself, we managed to raise over $1,500 for Season of Concern, a Chicago-based organization that provides direct-care support for people living with HIV and AIDS. (http://seasonofconcern.org/) This year, I will again be diving headlong into the horror pool, and again, I am requesting your help and support.

2011 has been an incredibly devastating year for many here in the U.S., with epic storms and tornadoes destroying lives and homes in unprecedented numbers. AMERICARES has set up a task force dedicated to getting funds and help to those in need, and it is to those unfortunate families that I will be dedicating my efforts. My lovely femalien's father worked closely with AmeriCares for many years - this is an organization for whom 98% of all donations go directly to helping victims in need. (For more info, visit http://www.americares.org/whatwedo/emergency/united-states/southern-united-states-storm-disaster-relief.html)

Here's the plan: For every fright flick I watch, I am asking folks to donate one nickel. Yes, a mere five cents per scream. My goal is to watch somewhere between 80 and 100 films next month, which means that you would only be asked to contribute a total of $4 to $5 – less than your average fast food lunch. Of course, you are welcome to make a lower (or higher) per-movie pledge, or even make a straightforward donation of whatever amount you deem viable. Every little bit helps and many hands make for light work. Together, we can make a big difference for someone out there who needs our help.

I will be documenting my progress here on the Dr. AC blog during the month of October. No need to send any money now, but if you are interested in participating, please drop me a line at drach101@gmail.com A) to let me know and B) how much per movie you would like to pledge. You can sign up as a sponsor any time between now and October 31. On Nov. 1, I will send out an email, letting you know how many movies were viewed, the corresponding amount of your donation, and how much total money was raised. (All individual donation amounts will be kept confidential.) If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask.

Many thanks in advance, my friends. Happy Halloween!!!


AC


PS If you are conducting a SCARE-A-THON of your own or are already planning to contribute to someone else who is, consider yourself relieved of any obligation. Horror kids RULE.

No comments:

Post a Comment