Thursday, August 30, 2012

PROMETHEUS (2012) movie review


Prometheus (2012) d. Scott, Ridley

There are some smart ideas going on in Scott’s return to the Alien universe (screw the Fox marketing department dancing about – this is a prequel; quit trying to have it both ways, jerkfaces), but the wealth of missteps in terms of characters’ inconsistent and/or irrational behavior ultimately proves the more distracting of the two sides.

There’s little denying the strength of the visuals on display, and the CG landscapes are jaw-dropping in their detail and austerity (the keyboard-spawned creatures are decidedly less successful), but the human drama that elevated early efforts like Alien and Blade Runner above their production values is notably absent. Prometheus’ flatly drawn characters are incapable of generating empathy or interest (especially within the maelstrom of Christian symbolism – given great illustration here http://cavalorn.livejournal.com/584135.html).

Mostly, I found myself wishing Scott had possessed the courage to create a stand-alone return to sci-fi instead of shoring it up with constant referencing of his 1979 xenomorph zeitgeist, since these details only served to detract and distract from the matter at hand. Our Space Jockey, once a sublimely fascinating enigma, has been transformed into something so crushingly literal – I mourn I’ll never be able to unsee what I have seen.

And for those looking for a bit of a laugh, check out this bit of alternative screenwriting (spoilers ahead) HERE

1 comment:

  1. I’m still looking forward to seeing this movie. There’ve been mixed reviews about it, but I really don’t think I care. Ridley Scott has made some of my ultimate favorite movies and after speaking with some coworkers of mine from DISH who also love sci-fi, I’m pretty excited to check it out. When I’d get excited about a movie, I used to buy it, but that has got expensive. I like the peace of mind I feel when I save money by renting first, so I’m adding Prometheus to my Blockbuster @Home queue, and then if it meets my expectations, I’ll buy the Blu-ray and add it to my collection. Then again it’s Ridley, so I’m sure I’ll be the proud owner of Prometheus soon.

    ReplyDelete